Soil and Blends
YukonGrow Blends is a series of unique high-yielding living soils made in the Yukon, by Yukoners, specifically adapted to our grow conditions and practices up here. Based on YukonGrow's staple inoculated + charged up biochar mixture, and making use of local ingredients wherever we can. Ingredients include biochar, beneficial microorganisms and worm castings, plus compost, peatmosss, perlite, vermiculite, and sand in proportions specific to usage. Dolomitic lime is used to fine-tune pH.
- Seed Starting Mix
- Seedling Transplant Mix
As well as our series of Gardening Blends:
- Basket and Container Gardening Mix
- Raised Bed Mix
- Open-Garden Mix
This will later be completed on demand with Specialized Blends, perhaps including
- Trees & Shrub Mix (fruit trees, ornamental woody plants)
- Berry Bushes Mix (haskap, raspberries, blueberries, grapevines)
- Intensive Greenhouse Mix (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers)
- Flower/Cannabis Mix
- Houseplant Mix: most houseplants are tropical species that prefer a spongy, nutrient-rich mix
- Orchid Mix: orchids need an ultra-spongy, low-nutrient bark-based mix
- Succulent Mix: cacti, succulents, and other species that hail from arid environments prefer a free-draining, low-nutrient mix
- Potting Mix: a balanced, versatile mix that can work for the vast majority of indoors and outdoor plants, including most annuals and perennials
- Nursery Mix (ornamental seedlings)
- Silviculture Mix (spruce and pine seedlings)
- Flowerbed Mix
- Turf and Lawn/Grass Mix
- Propagation Mix (for cuttings)
- Soil-based Microgreens Mix: microgreens prefer a mix that is high in organic matter perhaps with some perlite (e.g. 80%-20%), sterile, and high in nutrients
- others as needed/suggested
Top soil can be used as an underlayer for raised beds and open gardens, or for filling in low spots in lawns. Not recommended as a stand-alone grow medium, as it is fairly poor in structure and nutrient content. It typically contains a natural mixture of sand, silt and clay, plus some organic matter in various proportions. It is either extracted from a pit, or obtained from grubbing the surface layer that has formed over millions of years from rock decomposition, wind and water movement, for instance when developing land for residential buildings.
A potting mix is a very versatile product that can be used to grow plants and seedlings in a pot or other container indoors or outdoors.. It typically contains an engineered mixture of sand, silt, organic matter (e.g. peatmoss, pine bark, compost) and perlite and vermiculite in various proportions (see specific product for details). Its pH is usually fine-tuned with limestone. Some contain a small amount of fertilizer or slow-release nutrients. Branded potting mixes typically are sterile. Potting mix sometimes is referred to as "potting soil" but it actually contains little to no soil because soil is considered too heavy.
Black earth is a type of top soil that is especially rich in organic matter.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh